Friday, January 26, 2007


In Focus: Horse of the Month, Andee


There are many times when I find myself desperately yearning to get inside the mind of a horse. To have an answer to explain the quirks in their behavior, the reason they do the things they do, would be a load off of my - and probably the majority of the horse-loving population's - mind. But my wish is for more than that. I wish for understanding of what they've been through, seen, and experienced. What they are really thinking when staring at us with deep brown soulful eyes...

This was on my mind the other day as I watched one of our sweet rescue mares, Andee. Her story is not anything spectacular or newsworthy - she came "retired" from Warm Beach Christian Camp, no longer fitting in with the resident herd there. More than likely, a good portion of her life was spent with young children on her back, handfuls of carrots, prodding fingers of curiosity and wonder, and perhaps even the occasional nuisance. But we'll never know her full story and are only left with who she is now to tell us what she has been before. For the most part, she's an easy and sweet keeper who has a real soft spot for treats. She always nickers loudly when I make my way down the aisle, greeting all of the horses in the barn...as if I could possibly overlook her. Her nicker grows by the decibel if she knows I have a carrot or treat in my pocket, which I usually do (do you really think Tuff would let me get away with not having one?). She's always been a pleasure to groom and work with. But yet she's older and has very likely seen her share of trials - and, I imagine, having lived in a herd of horses where she had to really work for her share of the attention and focus, it's made her a little - grumpy. Wouldn't you be?

And so I found myself staring at her this day. She was favoring one of her front legs and squinting a bit. After Cowboy looked her over and turned her out to pasture, she stood quite still for a while and seemed to be lost in another world. As I watched her, I wished I knew what she felt. This incredible, beautiful animal who is full of emotions that run deep and a nature more sensitive than some people I know....and yet I felt so removed from her. There is a story in her sweet, warm eyes. And although I may never know every past chapter in detail, I can do my part to ensure the happiness and peace of her present one...and work towards the happy ending of which she is so deserving. It's our responsibility, and frankly our honor, to work on behalf of horses like Andee.

We never know the impact that a kind gesture or action can have on another life, no matter how small...these animals are so generous and selfless in their desire to please us. Giving back just a fraction to them of what I am able and they are not, is the least I can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home