Monday, July 27, 2009

In light of the release and recent reinstatement to the NFL of Michael Vick, I couldn't help but comment on the conflicting views in our society over animal cruelty. While I'd like to think that the majority of people are sickened by some of the animal abuse cases in the media, the reality is that there are people who just cannot relate. Although they may not condone cruelty, they also may not view it as the deplorable crime that those of us who work in animal rescue do. I've watched the discussions play out over the pages of Facebook - animal lovers enraged by the NFL's forgiveness...others who believe Michael Vick has more than paid his dues. But the truth is, his crimes were more than just a poor or lapsed judgment on his part. They were a six year long history of sick, deliberate and conscious cruelty that he inflicted on living creatures. When I stop and think of what those dogs were subjected to - when I hear of any animal cruelty case - my heart cannot bear it. It's too much.

Perhaps he is reformed. Perhaps he can use his mistakes to educate others. Perhaps my skepticism shines through these words, as they were hard to even type out. Sadly, the NFL's decision does not surprise me. He is a star player and he is money for them. Or maybe people don't want to deal any longer with the cruel reality of what he did and what that implies about his character - sweeping it under the rug for the sake of entertainment.

I don't expect that my personal passion for animal welfare will infect everyone I meet. We all have different strengths and passions to pursue. But the issue of animal cruelty - it's more than just about treating animals better than people, as some would claim. How can anyone feel confident that someone capable of such complete disregard, such elaborate torture of an innocent living creature will not inflict that same kind of abuse on someone else? Studies have proven a connection between the two.

For anyone who has witnessed a case of animal abuse firsthand, you cannot help but be impacted profoundly by it. And as much as it pains me to hear of it, read about it and worse, see it...it motivates me to work harder. To educate the public. You may be labeled, misunderstood, mocked. But when you think of those who don't have a voice, who cannot speak up for themselves, who are essentially defenseless...how can you quit? Any animal that gets a second chance is worth it. Worth the sweat, energy and yes, the bitter tears. All three of my beloved pets were given another chance in life. My PHH rescue horse, Tuff, has the power to bring me to tears at the mere sight of him. Having this passion is both a gift and a burden. Yet I hope the work never stops, for as long as it's necessary. There is untold value in saving even one life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home